Great news, Musictracker is already included to Ubuntu Hardy Official Repositories
MusicTracker is a plugin for Pidgin (previously known as Gaim) which displays the music track currently playing in the status message of various accounts such as AIM, Yahoo, MSN, Gtalk (Jabber), etc., i.e. any protocol Pidgin supports custom statuses on. Support for a wide range of audio players on both Windows and Linux platforms is planned. Currently supported players: Amarok, Rhythmbox, Audacious, XMMS, MPC/MPD, Exaile, Banshee, Quod Libet on Linux. Winamp, Windows Media Player (9+), iTunes, Foobar2000 (incomplete support) on Windows.
* Allows you to customize the status string with various fields extracted from your media player such as artist, album, track, duration, progress bar, etc.
* Works around Pidgin’s lack of support for MSN status messages by using the nickname instead.
* Different status messages for various media player states such as Playing, Paused and Stopped.
* Supports per-account status format customization.
* Optional Profanity filter for words in the status.
Official Site http://code.google.com/p/musictracker/
Code: “execute in terminal”
sudo apt-get install pidgin-musictracker
mod@localhost:~$ sudo apt-get install pidgin-musictracker
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 37.9kB of archives.
After this operation, 139kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ph.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe pidgin-musictracker 0.4.1-1 [37.9kB]
Fetched 37.9kB in 15s (2421B/s)
Selecting previously deselected package pidgin-musictracker.
(Reading database … 166100 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking pidgin-musictracker (from …/pidgin-musictracker_0.4.1-1_i386.deb) …
Setting up pidgin-musictracker (0.4.1-1) .
and configure it from plugin area in pidgin