1. An English name coming from the German name, Vilhelm, literally meaning will(desire, will) and helmet (protection). It has many variants in over 50 languages. Variants include but are not limited to:
Wilhelm, Vilhelm, Guillaume, Guillermo, Guglielmo, and Guilherme
Nicknames for William include: Will, Bill, and Billiam.
According to the 1990 U.S. Census the name William is the 5th most popular first name with 2.451% of the male population
Many famous and successful people have been/are named William.
1. Bill Gates (richest man in the world)
2. Bill Clinton (Former president)
3. William the Conqueror (conqueror of England in 1066)
4. William Shakespeare (greatest writer of the English language)
5. King William of Prussia (Emperor of Germany before WWI)